Recently, my mum made some lovely organic lip balm which is so simple to make so I thought we'd make some more and I'd share with you how it is done :)
The amounts of each depend on how much you are making (see below)
Organic Coconut Oil - can be bought in most supermarkets :)
Organic Shea Butter - we bought it on Ebay here but it can be found on many websites or in some farms
Organic Beeswax Granules - again we bought them on Ebay here but the same as above
They are the only ingredients! (Please note that you could use either Coconut oil OR Shea butter with the beeswax OR both (like I did))
Measuring jug - you should either have a measuring jug specifically for the purpose of this or ensure to clean it out with boiling water as otherwise the oils will not come off properly and they will get into your food (or whatever else you put in the measuring jug) - alternatively you could use an old tin can instead of the measuring jug - that way it can just be thrown away it's your choice
A teaspoon (this one is slightly larger than a teaspoon)
Pots/tins to put the lipbalm into - these are the tins we used off of Ebay but they are a personal preference, and can be found in many different shops or on many different websites all in different sizes
1. Firstly you need to put some water into the saucepan, about 1/3 filled
2. Next put the measuring jug (or tin can) into the water to create a double boiler. Turn on the heat to as high as you wish (we put it of the highest) and start to boil the water
3. There's no need to wait for the water to be boiling to add the ingredients, so you can start to add them now.
You'll want to have double the amount of fats as beeswax in your mixture (the fats are the coconut oil and shea butter put together), so your recipe will change whether you're including one or the other or both
The amount you use will depend on the amount you want to make, but there is no need to measure the ingredients too strictly. I used 3 'teaspoons' of Coconut oil, one of Shea Butter and 2 of Beeswax and this filled 5x 15ml tins so made 75ml.
The first thing to add will be Coconut oil, so I put 3 large teaspoons of Coconut oil into the measuring jug.
4. Next, I added 1 large teaspoon of Shea Butter
5. Lastly, I added 2 large teaspoons of Beeswax Granules
Alternatively, you could buy a block of beeswax and grate it yourself.
6. You then leave the mixture on a high heat to melt
7. After around 5-10 minutes the mixture will have all melted, depending on how much you made, so take it off the heat and take the measuring jug out of the water (I'd also recommend drying the bottom of the jug)
8. Then carefully pour the mixture into the tins
9. Let the mixture sit for around 10 minutes until it goes like this:
and is hard
10. At this point you can either put it in the fridge or just leave it out to fully set, preferably overnight
Made like this, the lip balm will have a shelf life of around 6 months. To make it last longer you could add a couple of drops of vitamin e oil which can be bought from Holland and Barret or online.
It can also be used as a hand cream or body cream, you could even put it in a bigger container for this use. I used it on a dry patch I had on my face and it cleared up over night :)
Have you ever made any skincare at home?
Don't forget to follow on Bloglovin' while you're here!